Always In Our Hearts

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

GooberVersary #2

Not only is today St. Patrick's Day, it is also my Gotcha Day!!! It's been 2 years now since my girl & I mutually decided to adopt one another, and we are celebrating like crazy here in GooberStan! Some of you have heard this story before, but I want to share a little about how my girl and I came to be together.





About 6 weeks before I adopted my girl, her heartpup Rosie went to the Rainbow Bridge. She was my girl's first rescue Dale, and she was completely depressed without her. She thought she wouldn't be able to love another dog again like that for a VERY long time... until she stumbled across the blog of one, Bogart Handsome Devil. He and some of his blogging buddies cracked her up, made her cry, and made her fall in love with them. She realized she really did want to open her heart again to a pup, and when she went to the Airedale Rescue site, this is the first photo that caught her eye.


Who wouldn't be enamored with a face like that?





The only question she had was, "Does he like cats?" She had inherited Merv right after Rosie died, and was committed to keeping him, and told Merv she would get him his own dog. The rescue coordinator in Illinois (I am from the Chicago area) emailed her right back and told her I was cat friendly and that I was hers if she wanted me.






Here's what I looked like the first day I met her. The groomer for Airedale Rescue had some sort of emergency come up right after she had shaved down my head and couldn't finish grooming me. So, I had sort of a turtleneck thing going on. My girl was already in love with me, though, so it didn't matter.







My girl very quickly got me involved in helping other homeless pups. That's me on the right, and on the left is my first Airebud I met here. His name is Seger, and we were representing Airedale Rescue at a big Pet Expo in Kansas City. Everyone thought we were giant teddy bears.







My girl also let me have some foster brothers and sisters too. This is my first foster bro, Max. He stayed with me for 2 weeks on his way to his furrever home in Michigan. He only had 3 legs, but he was one heck of a wrassler! (Disregard the big wet spot on the rug... had nothing to do with us. Max is on the left, I'm on the right.)






Max and I got along so well (that's me on the left, Max on the right), that my girl arranged for us to foster my bud, ZZ, and some other pups too!







It became very apparent to her very quickly that I was a big GOOBER! Hence, my nickname GooberStan.





She loves me no matter how crazy or gooberesque I am. The feeling is completely mutual.






My girl realized that I needed a brother or sister of my own, so we started combing through all of the rescue sites to see who might be a good fit. I ended up with this crazy diva of a sissy, Stella! I'm so glad she's here with us! I can't imagine life without her!






Here are some photos of my Gotcha Day so far!
















And here is the card my lovepup, Asta, sent to me. It makes me all wiggly inside just thinking about her!



We've got too much going on here today to write any more, but if you want to read my back story or see some of my puppy photos, you can find that here. Right now I've got a big juicy beef bone with my name on it! Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody!!!




Loving life as a goober,
Stanley

44 comments:

Dexter said...

Stanny,
Thanks for sharing that nice story of how you found your girl. Plus a confession that you kind of like that little Stella. She does look cute next to you.

Sounds like you are having a multi-day celebration. Enjoy!

Slobbers,
Mango

The Musketeers said...

Such a wonderful post !!! BOL !!!
Stanley you look great !!!

Gus said...

Stanley...that was a great post. Sissies kinda grow on ya, huh?

Like warts.

gussie

GSD Adventures said...

Great post! This is our first time visiting your blog! Found you on DWB/Bone Zone!

Can't wait to keep up with your adventures!

Wags,
Pruett and Daphne

Unknown said...

What a great story, Gooberstan! I had no idea that you've been such a good foster brother to so many airepups. Bet your girl can't remember life before you came into it!

Your pal,

Petey

Lucia said...

Ciao bello Stanley!

I am reaching for my Kleenex (you know how emotional we hot-blooded Mediterraneans are!)over your sweet storia, mio amico. Happiest of GotchaDays to you and your famiglia!

Tanti baci!
Lucia

Mack said...

Happy Happy Goobaversary!!

We really enjoyed the pictures of you as a wee pup (although Merv seemed somewhat less than thrilled)! May you have a great ST. Paddy's day and a wonderful gotcha day!

Kirby said...

Stanley,

Happy Gotcha Day!!! I just love your story, too bad we didn't meet each other during your Chicago stay. I'm so happy you and your girl found each other. You all (Merv and Stella included too) are such a wonderful family, that it makes me hope all rescue dogs end up living a life like yours!! Have a wonderful Gotcha Day Stanley!!!!!

Your pal,
Kirby

Eduardo said...

What a wonderful post! Happy Gotcha day & St. Patty's day!
Hugs & Snugs,
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

The Airechicks said...

Stanley:

Happy Gotcha Day to your girl....She & you belong together...

We can't even remember when you weren't part of our world.....

Rosie knew exactly what she was doing when she picked you for the girl....

Thank you Rosie!!!!

Thank you for helping all the rescue pups - we too give back and have had foster boys at our place.....

Tell Merv we need to see some gotcha day special pics like only Merv can take...

And that SASSY Stella - PAWTY GROOVE!!!!


XXooXOOOXXoooo

Hollie and Janie said...

Stanley,
That is just the sweetest, bestest story! I hope you continue to have an awesome gotcha day!!You bring me and my girl such joy!! We are so happy that you, your girl, and stella all have each other and are so gooberifically happy!!!
Love,
Janie

Asta said...

Dawling Goobew of my Heawt
I'm so glad you and Stella, Mewv and youw Giwl awe celebwating in twue goobew style!
It's a gwand day in goobewstan!! I'm suwe Rosie had a lots to do wif you finding each othew!She's pwobably celebwating ovew the wainbow!
We celebwate all of you!
smoochies of smoochie kisses youw Astawoni Fuzzbutt

Princess Patches said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day AND Happy Gotcha Day, Stanley! We are sooooo glad you rescued your girl! We know, from 'sperience, that the quickest way to heal a hooman's heart is to have a new pup. The sooner, the better! It doesn't make you love the pup you lost any less... it just gives you somedog else to focus on and the heart heals lots quicker! Have a really great day!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

the many Bs said...

hey Stan! happy gotcha day! that's a very happy story and you know how we like those happy stories. we're so glad that your girl decided to open her heart again to ou and then to Stella.

woofs

Jake of Florida said...

Dear Goober Boy,

We can't imagine life without you either -- and your story made our Mom get all emotional. You're obviously in touch with your softer side as well as being ready to rumble at the drop of a bone.

So Happy Happy Gotcha' Day!!!!And thanks for sharing your gooberlicious story!!!

Wirey love,

Jake and Just Harry

Juno said...

Stanley Boy!! Happy Gotcha Day and Happy St. Patrick Day!!

What a happy story we all share with you! We are so glad you decideded to adopt your girl first of all. If you weren't there, there is no girl we've known.

Enjoy this special day!!

BIG hugs
Momo & Pinot

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Stanley. We loved reading about your meeting the girl so much, it is the first time we have heard it. That turtleneck cut was pretty funny.

You have helped so many other pups, haven't you? We are also so happy you have Stella to love and play with.

Have a great day.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Nessa Happens said...

Happy gotcha day GooberStan! We love you muchly and we're glad you are linguistically inclined!

Simba and Jazzi said...

Happy Gotcha day.

Simba and Jazzi xxx

Ruby Bleu said...

Happy Blogiversary/Gotcha Day Stanny! And thanks for being my boyfriend!!!

Lots of Licks, your Ruby bug

The Black and Tans. said...

Have a fantastic day Stanley. We are so pleased you adopted your girl and share your adventures with us.

Molly and Taffy

Petra said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story, Stanley, and Happy Gotcha Day!

I love you and Stella so much and I'm glad you got your mom and she got you and you got Stella and and I've got you as my friends, too.

Enjoy every minute of your special day!

Moco said...

Matches made in heaven. What more could anyone say.

Meryl said...

Happy Gooberversay! And many returns!

--Meryl and Moe the Welshie

Chips said...

Yay what a story. Happy GotchaGooberDay!

love Beanz & Chips
(and Carlsberg, since you are cat friendly)

Eric said...

Stan. Have a hip hop happening gooberversary man!!!! I loved your story Stan of how you and your girl adopted each other. Was destiny...meant to be. And boy am I wagging happy for you all in Gooberstan.

Love and kissies, Eric xxx

Ruby and Penny said...

Happy Gotcha Day Stanley
Love Ruby & Penny

Molly the Airedale said...

Happy gotcha day, Stanley and happy St. Patrick's day to you and Stella! We hope you're having one heck of a day!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Agatha and Archie said...

To our Main man ,You certainly picked the right girl!1 We hope you are (as we say in Massa chewitts)PAHTYIN!!!!!(= partying) Love and a million zillion gotch day kisses A+A +PL2

Koobuss said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too, Stan.

Loved your story. Congratulations on your second anniversary. You, Stella, Merv, and your girl are all very lucky to have each other. You're a perfect fit!!

Love and Koobuss Kisses for Everybody,
Koobie

Lorenza said...

Happy Gotcha Day Stan!
Thanks for sharing your pawesome story!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Huskee and Hershey said...

Happy Gotcha Day to our dearest GooberStan!!
We are sorry the package that we have planned to send to you won't reach you in time.. (mom's fault)..
Thanks for sharing the story of how you and your Lisa found each other. We are so glad because otherwise we'd not have 'met' you!
last but not least, we love you, especially all your Goober-ness!!

** Giant Hugs **

Sally said...

Hey Stanley - what a really gooberliciious boy you are! I didn't realise you had so many foster pals - my D wants me to reread your blog so I can become a good Foster sister - we like you all the more now (as if that was possible!)

Licks
Sally

Bae Bae said...

Happy gotcha day Stanley. I'm so glad youa nd your girl found each other. :)

~ Bae

Stanislaw said...

Happy St. Gotcha Patrick Day!

You are one lucky Goobmeister. With some seriously white Goob choppers.

Enjoy that bone feast!

Kelly said...

Stanley! I loved reading about your Gotcha Day and how you and your Girl came to love eachother. There is nothing more speacial than that!

Hope you are enjoying your special time!

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Happy Gotcha Day Stanley! And many celebratory Goobs to you!

I enjoyed reading your story, you have such a fun life too!

I do like it when food has my name on it, so I hope your big juicy bone was gooberlicious!

lotsaluv, Marvin xxxxxxxxx

lotsaluv, from Jeannie toooooooo xxxxxx

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

What a wonderfully mushy story. We love it! Your girl was just ripe for you to come into her life.ANd that Stella.Wowie is she such a cutie patootie. Happy Gotcha Day! We never knew there were so many holidays we never heard of!
Smooches & hugs,BRE & Hootie

Persephone and Buster said...

wow stanley, very nice story! Happy GOTCHA day to you! & on St. Paddy's day too! we do like St.Paddys day we had a good time.
Ms.Persephone & Ms. Blue did love your juicy nose shots...
we're very happy you have your girl and are safe and sound in your furever home.
theBUSTER, Ms,Persephone & Ms. Blue

Joe Stains said...

Happy Gotcha Day buddy! We are so so glad your Mom decided she needed a Goober and that she shared you with all of us!!

Finni said...

Happy Gotcha Day Stanley, you're one lucky boy!
Love
Finni & Nelly xx

Sophie Brador said...

Stanny! I've been in seclusion out in the country so haven't had much of a chance to drop by, and now I find out I missed your Gotcha Day. I am going to demand an extra Guinness when I get home tomorrow, to make up for it.

xoxo
SB

wally said...

Stan! I was so drunk on Paddy's Day I missed your Gotcha Day! This is such a great post and I loved reading about how you rescued your girl and Stella and how you helped out those buds and, well, man, you just are the Greatest Goober Ever.

wally t.

Murphy Dogg said...

Hey Stan,
Sorry I'm late, but congrats on your Gotcha Day! Your girl is totally lucky you decided to adopt her.
Um, is that a pink flamingo lawn ornament in your mouth? I've always wanted some of those ...
C-ya,
Murphy Dogg